This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Default Users and Roles not in installation script

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:58 AM
Edited Aug 19, 2009 at 10:59 AM

After setting up a fresh database with the ASP.NET Membership tables, I ran the NewInstallSQL script. After I was unable to log in with the two default accounts mentioned in the documentation, I tried creating a new account. This threw the error "The role 'HelpDesk' was not found". Looking at the install script, I found these are not included.

Did I miss a step?

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM

TicketDesk's default configuration uses the two databases included in the app_data folder. These databases are pre-configured and already have the two stock users and roles setup. You don't have to configure anything to use TicketDesk as long as you have SQL Express installed. 

The create scripts are for manually creating your own database (or databases). Use the aspnet_regsql utility to create the SQL security objects.  Run the contents of NewInstallSQL.txt to create the TicketDesk objects. You can use one database, or split the ticketdesk and security to different databases (like the default configuration does). But aspnet_regsql doesn't automatically create users and roles for you. You have to manually create any users and roles. The easiest way to do that is to update the web.config file connection strings and provider settings then use the "Web Site Administration Tool" to configure the users (in Visual Studio: select "Project" from the menu then "ASP.NET Configuration". More info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yy40ytx0.aspx). 

If you use different role names than the default ones, update the appSettings in web.config with the names of the roles you want to use.