This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Email Notification

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:00 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2015 at 12:04 AM
Using version 2.1
My email notifications are failing. I have the same settings in the web config file for another test application and they work there but the ticketdesk notifications fail.
    <mailSettings>
        <smtp deliveryMethod="Network"  from="cao.riskmgmt@lacity.org">

<network host="smtp.sendgrid.net" port="587" userName="Track4LATest" password="somepassword" />
        </smtp>
    </mailSettings>
Any suggestions how fix or debug?
Oct 7, 2015 at 5:17 PM
This configuration looks ok to me.

It is difficult to suggest fixes without knowing the cause of the failure. Check the ELMAH application logs and see if any exceptions are being thrown. You can also look in the database table directly and see what's happening in the notifications tables. If you can, try the settings on a local developer machine against the source code and step through it in the debugger, or attach a debugger to the server if that's an option in your case.

This could be something outside TicketDesk completely, like a firewall or IIS configuration issue.
Oct 7, 2015 at 6:51 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2015 at 6:52 PM
I'm not sure how to debug the timer that fires but did add the same sendmail code used to send notification to a view's code and walked through the process with the emails being successfully sent so the configuration is correct. I suspect it may be permissions based for the user used to run the timer.
Watched the notification tries in SQL increment to 5 then the status is set to 'failed'
I'll look for the ELMAH logs to see if there are any errors there.
Also, I'm not sure how to debug the timer. What process do I attach to?
Oct 7, 2015 at 6:59 PM
No errors in the ELMAH logs
Oct 8, 2015 at 3:17 AM
It would be the same process as those that handle the user requests... you just have to put a breakpoint inside the function being run on the timer. The timer doesn't run on a different process, nor in a different security context --it runs under the IIS application pool's user principal.

If the database shows the count incrementing, then the actual timer process is fine... and it is likely that it isn't throwing an actual code exception, it's just as likely that the mail client is simply reporting an unsuccessful result.
Oct 8, 2015 at 4:06 AM
Hey, try setting the enableSsl="true" property in web.config.
Oct 8, 2015 at 6:15 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2015 at 7:25 PM
I need to fix the project