This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

SQL Instance error

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:39 PM
As in the instructions, I tried to name the SQL instance - v11.0 and I get an error. It says it does not following naming conventions - I guess the "." is the problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2015 at 9:33 PM
Edited Jan 30, 2015 at 9:35 PM
(LocalDB)\V11.0 is the default instance name for SQL Express LocalDB Edition 2012, which is the standard developer version that comes with Visual Studio 2012 and 2013.

Note that with LocalDB, the server name is an alias (LocalDb) and the instance name is pre-defined for you.

If you install SQL Express LocalDB Edition 2014, then the instance name would be (LocalDB)\MSSQLLocalDB... because Microsoft's SQL team hates naming convention consistency. These aren't usually custom configurable names in LocalDB, though you can use the command line to custom create a different instance name... I have no idea why anyone would do that though.

If you are using a regular SQL Server or Express edition, you would just use whatever instance name you want (or no instance name), then just adjust the connection strings in web.config to match your particular server and instance name.