This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Survey

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Our organization sends a survey after a ticket is closed. Does anyone have any experience in integrating survey capabilities into TicketDesk?

The survey results are recorded separately from the ticket and an at-will report is generated whenever it needs to be reviewed. If they respond to the survey e-mail the response gets added to the ticket and the ticket re-opens.
Mar 31, 2014 at 7:24 PM
I can't respond to the technical question here except to say that it is possible to extend ticketdesk to handle these surveys. Hopefully someone in the community will respond with advice on how to implement such an extension.

In case you have any authority over the business policy of sending surveys, I want to urge you to reconsider that policy. Assuming you are using TicketDesk in a help-desk type role, most people using the system will be using it to report some kind of problem or difficulty. They are, by definition, unhappy customers from the start. Surveys associated with support systems produce almost no valuable business insight, but are likely to exacerbate user frustration by reminding them of past problems and keeping their attention focused on a bad experience.

Most users will ignore the survey, so the sample size will be too small to have statistical relevance. If you harass users into completing the surveys, the sample size goes up but the quality of response goes even further down. Of those users who would voluntarily complete a survey, the bulk will be the angriest and most impulsively expressive personalities. They will respond to every question in the most negative way possible, not because support failed to help them, but because they are mad that they had to ask for help in the first place. A few users will answer surveys the opposite way, giving only glowing response to every question so the person that helped them doesn't "get into trouble". In neither case will the survey accurately reflect the reality of anyone's experience.

Support and help-desk systems are terrible sources of customer satisfaction information.

Also, once you start using the help desk system to drive surveys, your management will almost certainly start evaluating employee performance based on the results. This means you will punish your staff for any bad reviews, which will cause your staff to start spending more time convincing users to give then high marks and less time effectively responding to tickets. They'll send people new machines instead of helping troubleshoot existing problems because the user will be more likely to give them a good response. They'll do everything they can to pass problematic users off to other staff members, rather than actually helping the poor user. The best of your staff that get the really hard to solve problems will be the ones that suffer the most. The entire system will suffer, and support effectiveness will go down. Tickets will stop containing the truth, as your staff starts spinning everything in the ticket to make themselves look better, and get better reviews. Staff that do not fudge, but accurately report in tickets, will be the ones who appear the worst in the reports.
Apr 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Your advice is good, but doesn't apply to us in a few ways.

First, and for us, the most significant distinction with your concern: we provide a service, so our helpdesk issues are usually not along the line of a problem with something we bear responsibility for, they are requests for intervention or clarification or instruction. Our users most often don't know what to do next and are generally grateful to our support folks for providing guidance. Usually that guidance is along the lines of assisting them with their job, but even when it has to do with our application (how do I do _____, can you reset my password) our customers are generally pleased.

Second, most users do ignore the survey, and we don't harass them to complete it. The survey gives them a way to respond to the ticket and say "No, I didn't get my issue resolved." It also lets them know we are serious about the quality of our helpdesk. We keep the survey very simple to encourage responses.

Third, I'm not sure of the exact stats, but we get back almost entirely positive responses. I work near the support center and they do not coach users on how to respond. I agree that if it got to that point, the system would be self-defeating.

But, anyway, I am looking for some input on the best way to implement any or all of a survey response system. Is there a way to automatically send an email to the user when the ticket is updated to closed? I could write a web app to accept the survey response if I could send a link out.

Any other ideas?
Apr 2, 2014 at 5:27 PM
The general process would be:
  • Extend the database with new tables for your survey data
  • Modify the edmx diagram to include the new entities.
  • Write a repository to handle the data access for surveys
  • Write a service class to handle the business logic
    • Part of this should include the mechanism to send the initial email about the surveys
    • You could Leverage the NotificationQueuingService, but it's probably easier to handle building these emails directly in your own service
    • Extend the TicketService.CloseTicket method to call into your service to send the initial survey email.
  • Write the MVC controllers and views to render the survey's UI
It should be fairly straight forward to implement, and you can use existing UI modules and their back-end services and repositories as a guide. Only a tiny change to existing TicketDesk code is needed (to trigger the initial email).