This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Email Notification

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM
i am new to this system. i downloaded source code and i am running from my system. i didn't change any thing application it is working fine. but i am not receiving any email notifications.
can any one explain me email configuration. i already changed what are the emails we have in application but still emails fail.
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2009 at 2:51 AM

In all probability, you are just seeing normal behavior. TicketDesk will never notify you for a change that you yourself performed. TicketDesk assumes that you know what changes you made and so it doesn't spam notifications about your own changes. So when you test, make sure you are testing email notifications make sure you use diffrent users to create the ticket and a differnt user to assign the ticket to. 

The second most likely thing is that you are running the app on Windows Vista and do not have a 3rd party email server installed. TicketDesk does not directly send the emails itself. It routes them through the SMTP server speficied in web.config. Since Vista doesn't have a local email server, it will not send anything. If you are just testing things out, I highly recomment the Antix SMTP serever for developers. It does all that you need, but cannot actually route emails to remote systems. It just drops emails to a folder so you can verify the contents. 

If you are actually having problems with the email notificaitons, the ELMAH error logs in the admin section should contain information about the failures. The email notificaitons are also stored in a table in the DB (even the notifications that aren't sent are stored), which allows you to trace what is going on with notifications. 

As a last resort you can debug through the code of course. 

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:30 AM
hi,

Thanks for u r reply. i am using windows2003 server and i changed web.config file and i changed email address based on what i want. but still it is not sending emails. it is not showing any error also in log file.
Coordinator
Mar 30, 2009 at 5:11 PM
There just isn't enough information about your environment to troubleshoot this here. 

The only thing I can add to the previous discussion is this: If there are no messages in ELMAH related to emails, then it is possible that the problem isn't in TicketDesk at all, but rather with the mail system that TicketDesk is handing the message off to.

If you want more help, please tell us some details about the email settings from your web.config (including the email related stuff from appSettings), and also describe the contents of the TicketEventNotifications table.  

May 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM

having email issues as well by pushing through SMTP server.  The following is the ELMAH generated responses.

MS-TRUMB-CO04 0 SmtpFailedRecipient Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: No such recipient Details…
SmtpFailedRecipient Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: No such recipient Details…

Code=0

Error=Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: No such recipient Details…

Details = System.ApplicationException: Failure in Email Delivery Timer ---> System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: No such recipient
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
   at TicketDesk.Engine.NotificationService.DeliverTicketEventNotificationEmail(TicketDataDataContext ctx, TicketEventNotification note, List`1 consolidations) in C:\Projects\Personal\VS2008\TicketDesk\TicketDesk\Engine\NotificationService.cs:line 349
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

As you can notice above.  The trace is showing the code executing or wanting to execute from C:\Projects\Personal\VS2008\TicketDesk\TicketDesk\Engine\NotificationService.  However the app is installed someone else and your directory you most likely use for development doesn't exist at all

Coordinator
May 11, 2009 at 7:07 PM

The paths displayed in the error traces will be the ones from whatever machine the application was compiled on... it looks like you are using the compiled DLLs that were made on my personal machine. That's not a problem, but if you want the messages to show your own paths you'll need to recompile the application on your own system. That will recreate the pdb and dll files, and your new versions will then refer to the correct paths in future messages.

None of that matters to the actual problem. The problem seems pretty clear. TicketDesk is sending the message to the mail server that web.config refers to, but the server is sending back a "No such recipient" error. Pretty standard. The mail server responsible for the recipient's domain doesn't recognize the email address as belonging to a valid user. There are a lot of possible reasons for that kind of error. The good news is that TicketDesk's notification code appears to be working correctly. The problem appears to be with the mail servers that handle the recipient email. The only thing to check in TicketDesk is that the reciepent's email address doesn't have a typo and is the correct address for that user. 

May 11, 2009 at 7:22 PM
Edited May 11, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Users ARE getting the emails. However I am using a NON-Existing email for sending.  donotreply@mydomain.com

<add key="FromEmailAddress" value="donotreply@mydomain.com>
  <!--<add key="FromEmailDisplayName" value="HELP_DESK"/>-->
  <!--<add key="WebRootUrlForEmailLinks" value="http://192.168.10.5:801"/>-->
  <add key="WebRootUrlForEmailLinks" value="http://192.168.10.5:801"/>

from="donotreply@mydomain.com"
            to="donotreply@mydomain.com"
            subject="Help Desk Request"
            smtpport"25"
            smtpServer="192.168.10.5"  />

ficticious numbering scheme but you get the idea.

Coordinator
May 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM

There should be no problem with the "from" address setting. It can be (and usually would be) a fake address. The specific error from the previous post is not related to the from email address though. It is quite specifically a recipeient email address that generated the error. If your regular users are not reporting missing emails, the problem recipient is most likely one of the "help desk staff" users.

When new tickets are created a broadcast notification is sent to all staff users for the new ticket. One of your staff memebers may not have a valid email address. This is especially common in AD environments when you've used assigned built-in AD groups to the ticketdesk roles. Most of those groups include non-people user accounts (service accounts and such like) that may not have valid email addresses in AD.

For AD or SQL both though, you can probably discover which messages are failing by looking at the TicketEventNotifications table. Any messages with a 'failed' or 'consolidated-failed' status are likely problem recipients. Messages with a status of 'invalid' are non-problematic, those are for accounts where the email address was so malformed or absent that TicketDesk didn't even try to send a notification (a lot of those AD service accounts fall into this category when their email addresses are not populated in AD at all).