This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

TicketDesk 3 - progress update

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Just a quick update on TicketDesk 3.

I have a good start on the new version; however one of the libraries I'm experimenting with is still under NDA, so I'm unable to publish the source code just yet. I'm removing the bits that are under NDA, and will be able to publish the repo as soon as that's done.

The new UI is based on HotTowel SPA which uses breezejs, knockoutjs, bootstrap and durandal. The back-end is biult on MVC 4, web-api, SignalR, and entity framework 5. This UI platform is nothing short of amazing, and TicketDesk 3 will have a richer user experience as a result. I am aiming to have good mobile browser support this time around too. SignalR should also enable a more real-time style of use for concurrently connected clients, though I've only just begun to explore this area of the system.

I will update the code-base to to MVC 5, web api 2, and EF 6 in the near future, as soon as the code for those is stable; though I do not expect the updates to affect the overall design.

The UI is currently very raw, and incomplete, but I have enough in place to prove the validity of the various architectural concepts. It contains the basics of a ticket list, ticket editor, etc. Styling, layout, and extra visual magic will follow soon.

The major missing architectural piece is security. I'm waiting on the upcoming asp.net identity framework (currently in alpha). This stuff is part of the upcoming MVC 5 stack announced last month, but the code is not quite ready for integration with a real project just yet.

As I've always done, the new version will be able to upgrade existing TicketDesk 2 databases. TicketDesk 3 will support OWIN/Katana self-hosting, regular IIS deployments, and Azure Web Site deployments.
Jul 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Good job!
Aug 13, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Any update on this version? Thanks
Aug 13, 2014 at 5:46 PM
I'm still plugging away at it. I posted an update on it a while back... since then, I've continued to move forward on the angular work. I'm nearly done with the shell application, and am about to go into development on the TD specific functionality. It's slower going than I'd like, but this version is going to be the baseline prototype for a whole bunch of other applications I'm working on, so getting the foundation solid is my top priority.