This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

scrollbars in asp:textbox fields

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:01 AM
How would one go about removing the anoying scrollbars that show up when text goes beyond the end of the asp:textbox visible length?

The textbox turns into one giant scrollbar when text goes beyond the visible length, effectively blocking out all the characters in the box. I have a long email domain and this happens everytime an email address is entered (or any textbox for that matter).

Thanks.
Apr 25, 2008 at 12:28 AM
Edited Apr 25, 2008 at 12:28 AM
Of course I found the solution 5 minutes after posting.

anyway for those of you who want to know how to fix this...

comment out line 206 in main.css (App_Themes/TicketDeskThemes).

INPUT[type="text"], SELECT, textarea, INPUT[type="password"]
{
border: 1px solid Silver;
font: 8pt verdana;
/* overflow: auto; */ <<--------
}
Coordinator
May 1, 2008 at 6:35 PM

tahoeBT wrote:
Of course I found the solution 5 minutes after posting.

anyway for those of you who want to know how to fix this...

comment out line 206 in main.css (App_Themes/TicketDeskThemes).

INPUT[type="text"], SELECT, textarea, INPUT[type="password"]
{
border: 1px solid Silver;
font: 8pt verdana;
/* overflow: auto; */ <<--------
}

Just so you know... the overflow attribute was put there as an attempt to work around a display problem in firefox.

Firefox often fails to render the cursor inside of text controls.... which means you can't tell where your next characters will actually appear when you type. The problem is particularly common with text controls within ajax pop-up controls.... which TicketDesk uses quite a lot.

This is a long-time bug with Firefox. Some sources claimed to have worked around the problem by adding the overflow attribute in CSS, but it didn't have much effect in fixing this issue with TicketDesk in the latest version of FireFox.

FireFox 3 Beta 5 doesn't seem to have this problem... so I'm no longer activly trying to solve the issue.

I'll remove the overflow from the source for my next check-in.
May 20, 2008 at 4:33 AM
This is an excellent and thorough explanation. I had no idea about this bug with FireFox.

Thanks for the knowledge.

BT