This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Unable to login

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:56 AM

TicketDesk_1.2.3, SQL-Security, SQLServer2005

When I register a new account(create user), everything goes OK. I can submit tickets, search, etc ...

BUT, when I logout and try to login again, I get "Your login attempt was not successfull. Please try again".

The created user is correctly created in the ASP.NET Web Site Admin Tool, allocated to the TicketSubmitters role.

Also users created(including the admin) with the ASP.NET Web Site Admin Tool, are unable to login.

So everything seems to be ok, but unfortunately I am not able to login with any of the created users.

What could be causing this?

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I''m not sure. There are a lot of variables in asp.net membership, and not all of them are enumerated in your description of the problem. In general, there is nothing unusual really about how ticketdesk's authentication works. When configured for SQL security, It just uses the standard asp.net membership provider as specified in web.config. The only significant customization to the settings is that ticketdesk uses the application name "TicketDesk" rather than the default application name of "\", but that shouldn't be a problem for the web site admin tool. 

Check to make sure your providers in web.config specify the right application name. Make sure the connection string specified for the providers points to a real connection string, and that the connection string itself is correct. If using SQL Express with file attached databases then make sure the databases are present, not flagged read-only, and that the windows account that the web application is running under has full permissions to the ACLs for those DB files.

As I said, there is nothing unusual about the configuration for TicketDesk's security providers, so you could also delete the security database, remove the membership/profile/role providers and the connection string from web.config, then setup the security from scratch using the web admin tool (or manually via the config file and by running the aspnet_regsql tool.   

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:15 PM

The only changes I made to the web.config are the connectionStrings.

<

add name="TicketDeskConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=vmsql2005;Initial Catalog=TicketDesk;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Password=password" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<

I am using SQL2005 Standard, and a regular database called TicketDesk (not file attchached), I used the delivered scripts to create the TicketDesk objects.

And I did use the aspnet_regsql tool to create the membership objects in the same database.

And then I created the 3 roles (HelpDesk, TicketSubmitters, Administrators), and the admin user with the site admin tool.

This was all pretty straightforward stuff, and is indeed nothing really unusual, but nevertheless, I can not login.

add name="TicketDeskSecurityConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=vmsql2005;Initial Catalog=TicketDesk;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Password=password" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I have no explaination for the behavior. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. You shouldn't be having any problems logging in under those circumstances. Troubleshoot it as you would any other asp.net application. In fact, the easiest way to troubleshoot would be to create a whole new asp.net application from scratch, use the ticketdesk DB for your blank app's security providers, and then just see if you can login using the built-in asp.net login controls, Take TicketDesk itself out of the equation. 

On a slightly different note: considering your configuration, and the fact that you are using the same physical DB for the security objects, you should probably eliminate the TicketDeskSecurityConnectionString entirely. Just use the one connection string and update the value for the connection strings in the various security providers. Set them all to use the one ConnectionString.