This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Installation Walkthrough

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:23 AM

Hi Stephen

This open source project looks like it could be best of breed for pure simple issue tracking and looks this way from the demo. I am however having trouble with the installation.

We have SQL Server 2005 SP1.
Server authentication is set to "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode".

1. I have setup a Database instance called TicketDesk.
2. I have executed the contents of the C:\TicketDesk\App_Data\NewInstallSQL.txt file to create the tables etc
3. I have created a Virtual directory in IIS and enabled "windows authentication"

Our SQLServer name is "BAYSDATAWORKS".  We do have an active directory which is on a different server (bayswaterpdc)

Could you please assist with the appropriate connection string? How do I set the appropriate security etc?

add name="TicketDeskConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=BAYSDATAWORKS;Initial Catalog=TicketDesk;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2009 at 6:19 AM

The connection string is correct, but you need to add support for the ASP.NET security providers to your ticketdesk database. These objects are not included in the NewInstallSQL.txt file. Instead, you need to run aspnet_regsql from the \%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\version folder. Run it without parameters and it will pop-up a GUI and ask you which database to create the SQL objects in.

The reasons that these objects aren't included in the NewInstallSQL scripts that ship with ticketdesk are

1. Many people prefer to use a separate database for the security objects
  2. Some people want to point ticketdesk at an existing security database so it can share the same users and roles with another applicaiton
  3. Microsoft may release a new version of the security database, so relying on the MS tools to install the security objects ensures that TicketDesk doesn't hold you back to an older version of the security schema.

Otherwise it sounds like your configuration is setup right given the information available.

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2009 at 6:26 AM

Also, in case you missed it: The installation documentation here on codeplex does cover this topic. I've recently updated this to correctly reflect the recent upgrade to SQL2008 with TicketDesk 1.2.3

Apr 20, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Hi StephenRedd

I'm newby on this, and I want to know if there are a installation Documentation for the TicketDESK 2.

I downloaded the "TicketDesk 2.0.1 Beta - Compiled.zip", created the folder under wwwroot and created the Virtual Directory TicketDESK assigned to the folder I already created under wwwroot.

I Attached the database files in the App_Data Directory. I'm using  Windows 7, IIS 7 (Of course), SQL Express Edition 2008 R2 with the default instance \SQLExpress.

When I open the browser http://localhost/TicketDESK it appears an error "HTTP Error 403.14 - Forbidden".

What I notice is that when I go to wwwroot\TicketDESK I do not see default.aspx or index.aspx file. I only see 6 files and 7 folders.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!!

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM

There are install instructions in on codeplex's TicketDesk Documentation section that includes extensive setup and configuration information.

This is an asp.net MVC applicaiton, not a traditional asp.net webforms application. As such, it does not use the standard aspx and ascx files. Instead it uses controllers and views. You should read up on the MVC framework, design pattern, and usage patterns at the official asp.net MVC resource site