This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

initial setup

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:48 AM
Hi! I'm new with the codeplex projects.
I need som every basic hints to get the system op and running.
I have a server 2012 with sql 2012 (virtual box)

I followed the documentation, but can't open the website localy. (copied everyting in new website.)
nor can I create the database "v11.0". ( whan i leave out the periode i can, but I assume it won't work with a database called "v110".

can someone help me?

Thanx,

Peter
Oct 28, 2015 at 3:07 PM
v11 is for localdb edition of SQL server express 2012; you probably have the regular SQL Express 2012 installed instead... which is fine; just change your connection string to point to your real SQL Express instance instead of using a file based database.

You can real all about how this in great detail on the GitHub wiki here. There you will find info on connection strings, the different versions of SQL server, etc.
Oct 28, 2015 at 4:27 PM
thanx or the hint.

I'm still struggeling with the "Once you have copied the application's files to the server, run the application. Login as as "admin" with the password "admin". "
i copied all files in a IIS folder and configured that in the iss, but can't open the websit.
what do they mean with 'run the application'?

I'm sorry, but this is all quite new to me...
Oct 28, 2015 at 4:36 PM
If you are using 2.5, login as admin@example.com with pass 123456.
Oct 28, 2015 at 4:39 PM
Run the application means open it in a browser, assuming iis is setup and running of course.
Oct 29, 2015 at 2:25 PM
I started over from scratch. (using 2.5)
followed the tutorial step by step (with localDB)
but still can't get the site up and running.

In internet explorer I get an error 500.19

and it referres to the config file:

164: <system.webServer>
__ 165: <modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true">__
166: <remove name="ApplicationInsightsWebTracking" />

any Idea?

thanx!
Oct 29, 2015 at 2:45 PM
This is almost always one of two things: either your windows installation is missing some critical components needed to run asp.net applications or your application pool is set to "classic" mode instead of "integrated pipeline". The former is more common.

See this for info: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12486089/iis8-win8-and-runallmanagedmodulesforallrequests-true

Also, there are screenshots of exactly what components you need to have installed in windows on the wiki here; if you are using a different version the screen would look a little different, but the options you need to select are pretty much identical.

Sorry you are having so much trouble, normally the IIS part is the easy part.
Nov 5, 2015 at 7:26 AM
HI,

I finally got the site running after insatlling the missing components and playing around with some settings.

however, when i press the button 'Create Database' i get the error below:
I did some looking around, and it might be because i installed the full sql express first and local db afterwards.
but than i tried it on a brand new virtual machine, with only local db, with the same result.

could you please help me?

provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 50 - Er is een fout in de Local Database Runtime opgetreden. Cannot create an automatic instance. See the Windows Application event log for error details.
)
bij System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
bij System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
bij System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource
1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
bij System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
bij System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource
1 retry)
bij System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource1 retry)
bij System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
bij System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.InternalDispatcher
1.Dispatch[TTarget,TInterceptionContext](TTarget target, Action2 operation, TInterceptionContext interceptionContext, Action3 executing, Action3 executed)
bij System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.DbConnectionDispatcher.Open(DbConnection connection, DbInterceptionContext interceptionContext)
bij System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices.<>c__DisplayClass33.<UsingConnection>b__32()
bij System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.DefaultSqlExecutionStrategy.<>c__DisplayClass1.<Execute>b__0()
bij System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.DefaultSqlExecutionStrategy.Execute[TResult](Func
1 operation)
bij System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices.UsingMasterConnection(DbConnection sqlConnection, Action1 act)
bij System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices.DbCreateDatabase(DbConnection connection, Nullable
1 commandTimeout, StoreItemCollection storeItemCollection)
bij System.Data.Entity.Migrations.Utilities.DatabaseCreator.Create(DbConnection connection)
bij System.Data.Entity.Migrations.DbMigrator.EnsureDatabaseExists(Action mustSucceedToKeepDatabase)
bij System.Data.Entity.MigrateDatabaseToLatestVersion2.InitializeDatabase(TContext context)
bij System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.PerformInitializationAction(Action action)
bij System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.PerformDatabaseInitialization()
bij TicketDesk.Web.Client.Controllers.FirstRunSetupController.CreateDatabase()
bij lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] )
bij System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary
2 parameters)
bij System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary2 parameters)
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<BeginInvokeSynchronousActionMethod>b__39(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ActionInvocation innerInvokeState)
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncResultWrapper.WrappedAsyncResult
2.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.AsyncInvocationWithFilters.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronouslyRecursive>b__3d()
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.AsyncInvocationWithFilters.<>c__DisplayClass46.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronouslyRecursive>b__3f()
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.AsyncInvocationWithFilters.<>c__DisplayClass46.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronouslyRecursive>b__3f()
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass33.<BeginInvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__32(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass21.<>c__DisplayClass2b.<BeginInvokeAction>b__1c()
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass21.<BeginInvokeAction>b__1e(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
bij System.Web.Mvc.Controller.<BeginExecuteCore>b__1d(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ExecuteCoreState innerState)
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncResultWrapper.WrappedAsyncVoid1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
bij System.Web.Mvc.Controller.EndExecuteCore(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncResultWrapper.WrappedAsyncVoid
1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
bij System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ProcessRequestState innerState)
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncResultWrapper.WrappedAsyncVoid`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
bij System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
bij System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Request information:
Request URL: http://10.200.115.59/first-run-setup/create-database 
Request path: /first-run-setup/create-database 
User host address: 10.200.115.87 
User:  
Is authenticated: False 
Authentication Type:  
Thread account name: IIS APPPOOL\.NET v4.5 
Thread information:
Thread ID: 5 
Thread account name: IIS APPPOOL\.NET v4.5 
Is impersonating: False 
Stack trace:    bij System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
bij System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
bij System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource
1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
bij System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
bij System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource
1 retry)
bij System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource1 retry)
bij System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
bij System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.InternalDispatcher
1.Dispatch[TTarget,TInterceptionContext](TTarget target, Action2 operation, TInterceptionContext interceptionContext, Action3 executing, Action3 executed)
bij System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.DbConnectionDispatcher.Open(DbConnection connection, DbInterceptionContext interceptionContext)
bij System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices.<>c__DisplayClass33.<UsingConnection>b__32()
bij System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.DefaultSqlExecutionStrategy.<>c__DisplayClass1.<Execute>b__0()
bij System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.DefaultSqlExecutionStrategy.Execute[TResult](Func
1 operation)
bij System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices.UsingMasterConnection(DbConnection sqlConnection, Action1 act)
bij System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices.DbCreateDatabase(DbConnection connection, Nullable
1 commandTimeout, StoreItemCollection storeItemCollection)
bij System.Data.Entity.Migrations.Utilities.DatabaseCreator.Create(DbConnection connection)
bij System.Data.Entity.Migrations.DbMigrator.EnsureDatabaseExists(Action mustSucceedToKeepDatabase)
bij System.Data.Entity.MigrateDatabaseToLatestVersion2.InitializeDatabase(TContext context)
bij System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.PerformInitializationAction(Action action)
bij System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.PerformDatabaseInitialization()
bij TicketDesk.Web.Client.Controllers.FirstRunSetupController.CreateDatabase()
bij lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] )
bij System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary
2 parameters)
bij System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters)
bij System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<BeginInvokeSynchronousActionMethod>b__39(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ActionInvocation innerInvokeState)
Nov 5, 2015 at 11:27 PM
The "SQL Network Interfaces, error: 50" means the name of the database server cannot be resolved.

If you have localdb 2012, the connection string should have exactly "Data Source=(LocalDB)\v11.0;"

If you have localdb 2014, then then: "Data Source=(LocalDB)\MSSQLLocalDB;"

Also, make sure your application pool user has write permissions to the app_data folder. See this for info: http://serverfault.com/questions/81165/how-to-assign-permissions-to-applicationpoolidentity-account
Nov 7, 2015 at 9:22 PM
I started all over again, now with the sql 2012 express (not local db) and the v2.1.4 ticketdesk
I created the TicketDeskUser and created the database, even ran the scripts to fill in the database.
i created a udl on y desktop to see itf the user and pw can connect, that works without any problem.

still can't get the site to run.
iis keeps giving errors on the configuration script. I tried so manny differentthing in the configfile...
i got iis to accept the first line of the connection strings, but now it keeps failing on the second line (51)

Please, can you tell me what i'm doing wrong?
I assue line 53 will be the next thing iis will complain about...

here are the 3 connection strings:

50: <add name="TicketDeskSecurityConnectionString" connectionString="data source=WIN-9Q6S99JEJO1\SQLEXPRESS;database=TicketDesk;user id=TicketDeskUser;password=TicketDeskUserPwd;" />

51: <add name="TicketDeskEntities" connectionString="metadata=res:///Models.TicketDeskEntities.csdl|res:///Models.TicketDeskEntities.ssdl|res://*/Models.TicketDeskEntities.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string="data source=WIN-9Q6S99JEJO1\SQLEXPRESS;database=TicketDesk;user id=TicketDeskUser;password=TicketDeskUserPwd;" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" />

52: <add name="ElmahLog" connectionString="data source=WIN-9Q6S99JEJO1\SQLEXPRESS;database=TicketDesk;user id=TicketDeskUser;password=TicketDeskUserPwd;" />
Nov 7, 2015 at 9:49 PM
It sounds like there is something off about this server, but I'd be happy to help you out.

Tell you what, hit me up offline (just pm me through CodePlex from here https://www.codeplex.com/site/users/view/StephenRedd). Maybe we can arrange time for a screen share with teamviewer or something? If you can send me the URL for the site, I can look at the specific errors myself.
Nov 7, 2015 at 9:57 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2015 at 9:58 PM
Hi StephenRedd, The site isn’t public. It’s on a virtual machine on my laptop as a test to see if we can use it in real life… If you want, I can give youteamviewer access of anything else you prefer…
Van: StephenRedd [email removed] Verzonden: zaterdag 7 november 2015 22:50 Aan: [email removed] Onderwerp: Re: initial setup [TicketDesk:646686] From: StephenRedd It sounds like there is something off about this server, but I'd be happy to help you out. Tell you what, hit me up offline (just pm me through CodePlex from here https://www.codeplex.com/site/users/view/StephenRedd). Maybe we can arrange time for a screen share with teamviewer or something? If you can send me the URL for the site, I can look at the specific errors myself.
Nov 10, 2015 at 9:24 PM
Hi redd,
I skipped the whole virtual testing enviroment and deployed the site on a live server.
guess what... it worked from the first try! :)

is there a kind of language file I can edit to translate the website, or are all text labels hard coded?

I'm struggeling now with the email feature, but i'll do some searching first before starting to nag you...

still, thanx for the help before!

looks great!
Nov 11, 2015 at 3:42 AM
Glad you got it working; I suspected something was jacked up on the server you were using... normally it isn't quite so hard to setup.

2.1 does not have much to ease translation. TicketDesk 2.5 does have good internationalization support, thanks to one of our community contributors. For 2.5, you just add standard .net resource files for whatever languages you want to support --which takes care of about 95% of internationalization; it's still a beta though, so I can't promise we've worked out all the issues yet... in particular there are some issues with sorting on fields like category, priority, and ticket type which are compounded by the ability for users to edit those lists --I have a solution, but haven't had time lately to get back to implementing them.
Nov 12, 2015 at 7:11 AM

I’m troubleshooting the notofocations…

How am I sure a mail is send?

A ‘send test mail’-function wouldn’t be bad for the 3.0 release J

Also, how difficult would it be (for me, with little to no experience in code writing) to change the homepage to an overview of all open issues?

thnx

Van: StephenRedd [email removed]
Verzonden: woensdag 11 november 2015 4:43
Aan: [email removed]
Onderwerp: Re: initial setup [TicketDesk:646686]

Glad you got it working; I suspected something was jacked up on the server you were using... normally it isn't quite so hard to setup.

2.1 does not have much to ease translation. TicketDesk 2.5 does have good internationalization support, thanks to one of our community contributors. For 2.5, you just add standard .net resource files for whatever languages you want to support --which takes care of about 95% of internationalization; it's still a beta though, so I can't promise we've worked out all the issues yet... in particular there are some issues with sorting on fields like category, priority, and ticket type which are compounded by the ability for users to edit those lists --I have a solution, but haven't had time lately to get back to implementing them.

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:27 PM
just remember that the email system doesn't notify you of changes you make yourself... and there is a time delay built-in by default to allow it to consolidate rapid changes into a single message. For testing, make changes to a ticket you own or assigned to using another user account... that way you'll get an email. You can see what's happening pretty clearly in the notifications table; just open it up in a SQL editor and you can figure out what's happening.

It isn't hard at all to put in a custom home page. For the most part it's a standard asp.net MVC site, and the other pages serve as an example you can use as a guide. How hard that turns out to be depends mostly on how quickly you learn asp.net, and how comfortable you are with coding. In general though, it should be fairly straight forward to get a simple overview dashboard in there.