This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Email flow

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Version 2.0.2 AD

What is the flow of email notifications through the system from creating and incident to closing it? Who gets notified when?
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2014 at 5:15 PM
When an issue is created, a notification is sent to all members of the staff role immediately (broadcast notification).

When any change occurs to a ticket (anything that creates a new item in the activity log), both the owner and assigned user will receive a notification.

Users are not notified of changes they make to a ticket themselves, only changes someone else made.

To prevent the system from spamming users when changes to a single ticket occur in rapid succession, the notifications are put on a sliding delay. When a change happens, a notification is queued and then held for a few minutes. If an additional notification occurs for the same user and ticket, then the first notification will not be sent. The second notification will be queued instead, and it will wait a little longer than the first. If more notifications come in, each in turn will supplant the previous notification, be queued, and wait a bit longer. This continues until a notification reaches the end of it's delay period without being supplanted by newer notifications, or the max wait time (15 minutes) is reached, at which point a notification will be sent.

With the default configuration, users will receive email a notification within 5 to 15 minutes of a ticket being changed by another user.

These times can vary a bit for for two reasons:
  1. The email is sent from a timer, which has a default interval (2 minutes if I remember correctly).
  2. If an email attempt fails, the system has a retry system that also has a sliding schedule of its own.
Marked as answer by btiadmin on 12/22/2014 at 11:34 AM
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2014 at 5:18 PM
BTW, you mentioned in another post that you are operating as a one-man shop right now, so you should not be bothered by any email from TicketDesk (except the broadcast notifications).
Dec 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM
Awesome! Perfect! Thank you!

Sorry for so many posts and follow ups. I just like to see Internet help document from problem to solution so it can truly help all parties the may find it useful in the future.
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2014 at 7:14 PM
No worries, always happy to help :)
Jun 11, 2015 at 8:09 AM
Edited Jun 11, 2015 at 8:10 AM
Hello StephenRedd

I have Configure SMTP Provide (Email) in PushNotificationSetting like

SMTP Server Name: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 587
Enable SSL : Checked(means true)
SMTP User Name : Krishna Mangore
SMTP Password : My Password
SMTP From Address : krishna.mangore14@gmail.com
SMTP From Display Name: TicketDesk

saved it. and when I raised Ticket as end user then still not getting any Email Notification
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2015 at 1:23 PM
Answered in the issue tracker here