This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Installation help, please

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Hello,

This ticket system has all the features that I need but I'm not .net user and need installation instructions because those quick installation instructions I cannot follow.

Please help.

Using IIs7 (server 2008 R2 SP1) and sql 2008 express

thank you for help
Dec 16, 2014 at 4:41 PM
I have copied TicketDesk to wwwroot and named folder helpdesk. After that I did "convert to Application" on helpdesk folder through IIS manager nad selected .net 4.0 Pool.

How do I connect database?

I get some errors SQL client
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Is SQL 2008 Express on the same machine as the web server?
Dec 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2014 at 5:25 PM
yes. on the same server.

I have created database named TicketDesk and ran sql queries to populate database with tables and data.

Still no success.
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Make sure that you have TCP/IP enabled for the SQL server and the SQL client (this is done through the SQL Configuration tool that comes with SQL Server). By default TCP/IP is not enabled.

The default connection strings were setup for user-instance databases (aka, file-attached databases) using localdb. You will need to change the connection strings to point to SQL express instead and specify a fixed database name. Usually this looks something like this:
<add name="TicketDeskSecurityConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Initial Catalog=TicketDesk;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
<add name="TicketDeskEntities" connectionString="metadata=res://*/Models.TicketDeskEntities.csdl|res://*/Models.TicketDeskEntities.ssdl|res://*/Models.TicketDeskEntities.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Initial Catalog=TicketDesk;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;MultipleActiveResultSets=True&quot;" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" />
<add name="ElmahLog" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Initial Catalog=TicketDesk;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
The key is that the datasource name is different, and you use an "Initial Catalog" setting rather than "AttachDbFileName".
Dec 16, 2014 at 7:40 PM
this code helped me. thank you.
Dec 16, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Now for the AD setup.

I have setup AD connection created AD groups (Universal, Security) in Users container. Is this OK?

Database did get populated by users that are in those groups but I can not login.

What to setup so user who is logged in to workstation gets login to Ticketdesk automaticaly?
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Configured for AD, TicketDesk doesn't handle the authentication itself. That is handled by the client machine negotiating with the web server directly.

Different browsers handle the authentication details a little differently, but in any case you should either be automatically authenticated by your client, or prompted by the browser for credentials (usually this is an ugly modal login dialog, not a pretty web-page login screen).

If the credentials work, but don't give you access (access denied or you keep getting re-prompted to login with a different account), then the odds are that there is a configuration problem somewhere. Make sure you've mapped the user accounts in web.config correctly, and that the user account you are authenticating with is a member of at least one of those AD groups.

If the credentials fail with an error, the problem is likely with the web server or the client. Keep in mind that IIS may not have been installed with support for Windows authentication. Most recent versions of windows do NOT include that as a default option when you setup IIS --in control panel, use the add/remove programs -> turn windows features on/off, and make sure the windows authentication features for IIS are included.

Naturally, the server should be joined to the AD domain, but in theory the client doesn't have to be a domain joined machine (depending on your AD policies though, this may or may not work out).
Dec 16, 2014 at 9:51 PM
For now I managed to get automatic login (SSO) from web server but form client machine nothing. Asks me for credentials and after i put correct credentials still does not pass to ticketdesk