This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Installing compiled solution problem

May 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM
I think I must have missed something obvious or I'm misunderstanding something because I have just downloaded the compiled 2.1.1 version in zip format and tried installing it as per the instructions on here.
I have unzipped and moved the files to the webroot on my local machine (64 bit)
Set up the application in IIS with its own app pool

However, when I browse to the directory I am getting the error message:
HTTP Error 403.14 - Forbidden
with the most likely cause being:
A default document is not configured for the requested URL, and directory browsing is not enabled on the server
The thing that is confusing me is that there is no global.asax in the downloaded zip which might explain the 'no default document'.

What have I missed?
May 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM
This is a pure IIS configuration issue. The global.asax file is not required, nor would its absence be the cause of this problem. Unfortunately, there are a large number of other potential causes.

Let's start with the basics.

When you installed IIS, did you explicitly tell it to install the asp.net components? This isn't installed by default on some versions of windows. You can re-run the add remove features wizard in control panel to make sure.

Have you tried creating a new web site in IIS (in a different location) and putting the application there? The root website that IIS installs by default has a very specialized configuration, and doesn't make the best deployment location for a new application.

Have you checked the default documents list for this web site in IIS to make sure default.aspx is listed, and is first in the list?
May 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM
I had already installed asp.net using the 'add features' method in Windows.

Your suggestion about the default document led me to try browsing directly to default.aspx and got this error message
Handler "PageHandlerFactory-Integrated" has a bad module "ManagedPipelineHandler" in its module list
A search on StackOverflow for this error message turned up this solution http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6846544/how-to-fix-handler-pagehandlerfactory-integrated-has-a-bad-module-managedpip

I ran the following command from the accepted solution
%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
and I no longer get the original error message. (I now get a different error concerning establishing a connection to SQL Server, but that's a different issue)
May 12, 2014 at 11:53 AM
I should also like to add the other steps I took in order to get the compiled solution working in the hope it might help someone else.

As mentioned above the next error I encountered is outlined here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/archive/2011/12/09/using-localdb-with-full-iis-part-1-user-profile.aspx
which I solved by editing the applicationHost.config file which is usually located in C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config. Note that I set up an application pool in IIS specifically for TicketDesk.
<add name="TicketDesk" autoStart="true" enable32BitAppOnWin64="true" managedRuntimeVersion="v4.0" >
           <processModel identityType="ApplicationPoolIdentity" loadUserProfile="true" setProfileEnvironment="true" />
</add>
Don't forget to stop/start the application pool.

The next error concerned the database files in TicketDesk/App_Data. Full control permission needs to be given on both TicketDesk.mdf and TicketDesk_log.ldf to the IIS_IUSRS group on the machine.

After all this I was then able to run the application