This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Localization in another language?

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Hi there,

I have installed it and its working, looks great... I would like to have it localized in spanish, is there a set procedure for doing this?

Any ideas on where i would start would be great, the users that will be reporting bugs to my application speak spanish only. So it would be great to be able to have it localized.

I tried searching the forums but didn't find anything, maybe there is a set of files that exist already?? Satellite dlls or something??

Any help really appreciated

Thanks

John

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:12 AM
TicketDesk does not leverage any specific localization features of asp.net nor does it provide any of its own. 

However, it is a fairly simple application and most of the hard-coded text is in the aspx, ascx and their associated code-behind files. Any developer reasonably familiar with asp.net localization could create a simple translated version for one target language fairly easily. 

It would not be too difficult to go a step further and support true localization for multiple languages. 

I did not do that myself in 1.x for a few different reasons:
  1. I don't speak any other languages and I have very limited experience with localization.
  2. Localization complicates the application. No single localization task is very difficult, but it adds up over the life of the project complicating everything along the way.   
  3. Localization requires more formal testing than I was prepared to put into the project for version 1.x, especially considering I am not qualified to validate any language other than english myself.  
  4. No one else has yet volunteered to contribute localization features to the project.
Localization may be more formally supported in 2.x.