This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Custom Profile Properties

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I have abandoned the Active Directory Integration and decided to integrate the TicketDesk app with my existing asp.net security database. I set up the necessary roles and was able to login to ticketdesk. My issue is once I login to ticket desk any of the custom properties I set in my profile provider from application get cleared out. How can I stop TicketDesk from clearing/resetting the custom profile properties?
Aug 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Nevermind. I figured it out, I had to add all my custom properties to the profile properties in the ticket desk web.config as well.
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM
There is another way as well... if you want to keep ticketdesk's profile properties separate from the profile properties of other applications, then you should be able to just change the application name property on the profile provider (in web.config) to something different than what you are using for your other apps. Leave the membership and role providers set to use the shared application name.

The security providers in .Net aren't really that great, but one thing they did get right was application scoping. Even if the application name is different between the membership provider and the profile provider, the providers will still match up the users from one to the profiles in the other.
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM
disclaimer, I haven't tested that exact scenario... but I have done similar in other applications without problem.
Aug 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Nice. I like that solution better. I will change the application name and test it out.