This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Filtering and Sorting

May 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Hi,

I have installed and setup ticket desk 2.1 and it is working fine, other than i cannot get ELMAH to work on the test server (win 2008 R2, iis7.5) but that is not too much of a problem, yet.

My main problem is that the sorting and filtering on the ticket lists is not working. I am a little unsure of how it works, [shift + click] to add to the list just fades the screen in and out and nothing changes. I have stepped throug the code and it appears not to produce an error. I am not the best with jQuery. So, I cannot get any other columns to be part of the sort (i assume they get a blue arrow once they are) and a similar thing happens with the filters, the screen just fades in/out and the filter loses the selection you make and nothing changes.

Anyone else had this?

Any help would be appreciated

p.s. why do unassigned tickets show in the list as Status "Active"
Coordinator
May 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Today seems to be the day for ticketdesk installation problems. I would need to see the behavior of your lists myself to have much hope of figuring out what's going on with it. If it is fading back in after a sort/filter then it is probably getting a response from the server of some kind,.. and the response probably isn't too far out of the ordinary. If the javascript throws an unhandled error during the request, then the UI usually fades out, but not back in again.

If you can, open the javascript console in your browser (CTRL+SHIFT+J on the good browsers) and see if it is reporting any client-side errors. You can also set breakpoints and debug through the javascript. This is some older, and ugly, javascript so my apologies for that. On the plus side, much of the javascript is inline directly in the page source, enough to where it is easy to find places to put breakpoints.

You'd need ELMAH to see if there are any server-side errors. ELMAH should just work out of the box. That's a really solid and reliable system in my experience, and it is also a very simple mechanism. Of course, if the UI stuff is giving you problems, it may still be recording the error messages in the ELMAH table in the DB, so you can still get at it. On many servers, asp.net unhandled errors also get logged to the windows event logs... so you can look there as a last resort.

"unassigned" is not a formal "status" in ticketdesk. It is an implicit state determined by examining if there is a user assigned to the ticket. A ticket can be in any formal status (which controls the workflow stages) and yet the ticket can also be unassigned at the same time (which does not alter the ticket's position within the workflow stages). The filter, by default, shows only open issues... so normally you'd only see active ones. But a user can give up a ticket while it is in the resolved or more info state. You can also have closed tickets that are unassigned, which happens when someone force closes an issue before anyone in help-desk grabs it (basically the "duh! nevermind, I figured it out!" type issues).
May 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for replying. I have debugged the server side code and the JavaScript client side in ie9. There are no errors. The problem is that the ajax call on the onmousedown event call the same function on success and on failure.

could it have anything to do with saving the preferences to the db?

It doesn't work in my dev environment either. This is at the moment connecting to a sql2005 db.

ELMAH works in development on win7 64bit visual studio 2012 using the built in web server. I read articles about moving ELMAH config settings to the web.server tag but that made no difference. There are quite a few posts about it not working otb with iis7.5

Cheers,

Alex Dredge

Sent: ‎15/‎05/‎2013 21:45
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Filtering and Sorting [TicketDesk:443735]

Today seems to be the day for ticketdesk installation problems. I would need to see the behavior of your lists myself to have much hope of figuring out what's going on with it. If it is fading back in after a sort/filter then it is probably getting a response from the server of some kind,.. and the response probably isn't too far out of the ordinary. If the javascript throws an unhandled error during the request, then the UI usually fades out, but not back in again.

If you can, open the javascript console in your browser (CTRL+SHIFT+J on the good browsers) and see if it is reporting any client-side errors. You can also set breakpoints and debug through the javascript. This is some older, and ugly, javascript so my apologies for that. On the plus side, much of the javascript is inline directly in the page source, enough to where it is easy to find places to put breakpoints.

You'd need ELMAH to see if there are any server-side errors. ELMAH should just work out of the box. That's a really solid and reliable system in my experience, and it is also a very simple mechanism. Of course, if the UI stuff is giving you problems, it may still be recording the error messages in the ELMAH table in the DB, so you can still get at it. On many servers, asp.net unhandled errors also get logged to the windows event logs... so you can look there as a last resort.

"unassigned" is not a formal "status" in ticketdesk. It is an implicit state determined by examining if there is a user assigned to the ticket. A ticket can be in any formal status (which controls the workflow stages) and yet the ticket can also be unassigned at the same time (which does not alter the ticket's position within the workflow stages). The filter, by default, shows only open issues... so normally you'd only see active ones. But a user can give up a ticket while it is in the resolved or more info state. You can also have closed tickets that are unassigned, which happens when someone force closes an issue before anyone in help-desk grabs it (basically the "duh! nevermind, I figured it out!" type issues).

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information and are intended only for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail or any part of it. Please notify us immediately by return if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete it from your system. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. This message is provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial instruments. Information contained is this message may be subject to legal, professional or other regulatory privilege. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or incomplete. We therefore do not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may arise as a result of e-mail transmission. The contents of this message or attachment may contain software viruses which could damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken reasonable steps to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of such software viruses. We reserve the right to monitor all e-mail messages passing through our network. Rowan Dartington & Co Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Rowan Dartington Holdings Limited.

www.rowan-dartington.co.uk

Member of the London Stock Exchange and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Registered in England and Wales at Colston Tower, Colston Street, Bristol. BS1 4RD. Company No.2752304.
Coordinator
May 15, 2013 at 9:55 PM
This is an MVC 2 style ajax mechanism. Here is how it works; clicking the sort will send a request to the server. The server is supposed to process the request, then re-render the HTML for the grid and send it back to the client. The client then just replaces the HTML in the page with the new HTML it gets back from the server.

In your case, the server is probably failing to render the HTML for some reason, so instead it is sending back to your javascript one of those asp.net error pages (a yellow page, as I call them). The client is setup to deal with this case by just eating the unexpected response HTML, and unlocking UI for the page (which is why the javascript calls the same function).

The easiest way to troubleshoot this is to open up developer tools in your browser (I use chrome, but the process is similar in most modern browsers). Open up the tools, navigate to the page, click the sort button. When it's done failing, go look at the network tab in the developer tools... this will show you each request/response along with the status and such. Find the one that represents the ajax sort (it will probably be the bright red one with an error code). Clilck the link and it should show you exactly what the server sent back in the dev tool winodw (you'll see the yellow page).

If you are doing this from a remote browser, you might need to turn off custom errors in web.config (the yellow screen will tell you so) to see the full message. You should also turn on the debug flag in web.config to get more details in the yellow page.