This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

TicketDesk 2.x Ongoing Development Updates

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:33 AM
Edited Jan 8, 2011 at 6:34 AM

I've just checked in source for TD version 2.0.2.

This is not a packaged release .

Self-Upgrading Database:

This update adds support for a self-upgrading database. When you deploy a new version of TD 2.x, it will contain the code necessary to upgrade itself from version 2.0.0 to whatever the current database version happens to be. This means that you can deploy newer version of TD 2 without needing to manually run any scripts.

NOTE: The self-upgrade feature does NOT upgrade from TD 1.x databases. You have to have already upgraded the database to at least version 2.0.0 first!

Hide Home Page:

This update also adds the ability to turn off the application's home page (the Index action of the Home controller). Until the dashboard feature is implemented in TD 2.1, the home page really just contains some static text. Most admins will want to turn it off and just have users directed to the ticketcenter instead. 

NOTE: If you toggle the hide home page option to true, you must restart the IIS application before the new routes will take effect.

Other:

This update also has some other minor tweaks:

• Total record count added to pager in TicketCenter
  • Main Menu highlights current section
  • Slight change to unassigned image flag in TicketViewer.
Jan 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM
Edited Jan 16, 2011 at 9:43 AM

In Progress:

One thing I'm doing right now, before staring in on TD 2.1, is evaluating the MVC 3 release and the related stuff like EF Code-First and SQL CE 4.

If you've looked at the source for TD 2.0, you've probably noticed that the front-end code is a bit of a mess. It works well, but I didn't take the time to do my normal job of tidying it up much. I also haven't done the work necessary to implement ViewModels in the front-end (something that would REALLY clean up the code a lot).  

The reason for the mess was that I was waiting on MVC 3's Razor view engine to drop in final form. I plan to switch over to a more formal design with ViewModels in the front-end code at the same time that I migrate the views over to Razor. 

I'm also intrigued by the new EF Code-First stuff. You'll notice that TicketDesk lacks unit test projects... that's because I gave up on unit testing due to the insanity of trying to test EF 4's data context when using a model generated by the schema. I was also unwilling to invest in the horribly insane patterns suggested for use with POCO and EF 4 (the repository + unit-of-work + kitchen-sink + seriously-are-you-kidding thing). While I don't need code-first to drive the database, I am highly interested in the simplification that the code-first features and usage patterns bring to the overall architecture. I'm also thrilled to finally see some convergence between Data Annotations and EF. 

Another area I'll be looking at if the preview of MEF 2. MEF is neat, and I like some of it's features, but by the time I finally worked around the limitations of MEF 1, I'd lost some of the features of MEF that I'd hoped to use. MEF 2 is in the works now, but it seems like most of it might be aimed at Silverlight again. If they haven't done some significant improvements that help with using it in asp..net MVC though, I'll probably abandon it in favor of ninject or one of the other popular IoCs.

Anyway... I'll be playing with the new tech a for a bit before I get back to active development on the official TD 2 branch. Once I've had a chance to really get my feet wet with the new stuff, I'll let you know what I plan to do with it all in regards to TicketDesk (I'm also evaluating the new stack for use in other projects of mine).