This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

only "partial" authentication using another sqlmembershipprovider

May 17, 2010 at 7:10 PM
Edited May 17, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Hi,

I was testing TicketDesk intergration with our pre-existing asp.net sqlmembershipprovider and though it apprears to succesfully authenticate against that provider (in that the LoginStatusControl displays my username as expected) it still redirects back to the login page as though my authentication failed. It's almost as if the master page accepts me but the child pages don't(?). Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

May 18, 2010 at 1:06 AM

In the web config file, make sure the definitions for membership, profile, and role providers ALL specify the same applicationName property (and make sure the setting matches the one used by your pre-existing database). When sharing security with another system, both systems need to use the same applicationName. TicketDesk's default applicationName is setup as "TicketDesk", but the default application name in asp.net is usually "/". If your foreign system doesn't specify an applicationName, try setting ticket desk to use "/" and see if that works out.

Just because the system knows who you are (and can display your name it in the login status) doesn't mean ticketdesk trusts your identity... which is why you are probably getting redirected back to login.   

May 19, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Thanks; I actually had checked all that, but it turned out to be the roles. I neglected to create the ones you use in TicketDesk within my membership provider. Did so and working now. Thanks for your help in any case, and for all the hard work on this great project!

Cheers